Privacy Notice (How we use your information)
Corporate Safety Unit
The categories of information that we collect, process, hold and share include:
- Personal information (such as name, date of birth and address)
- Telephone number
- Characteristics (such as gender, ethnicity and disability)
- Nature of accident/incident
- Nature of injury
- Witness statements
- Investigation report etc.
Why we collect and hold this information
We use this personal data in order to:
- Investigate the accident, incident or near miss
- Learn from mistakes
- Prevent others being injured in the future
- Ensure high standards of health and safety
- Satisfy statutory requirements
The lawful basis on which we use this information
We collect and process information about you under
- The Health Protection (Local Authority Powers) Regulations 2010
- The Health Protection (Notification) Regulations 2010
- The Health and Social Care Act 2008: code of practice on the prevention and control of infections and related guidance 2010 (updated 2015)
- Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health 2002
- Reporting of Injury, Disease and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995
- Statistics and Registration Services Act 2007
- Mandatory Health Care Associated Infection Surveillance: Data Quality Statement 2017
- Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984Storing this information
We will hold the information about you securely, and for no longer than reasonably necessary.
We will hold it from the date of entry: retain for current year plus 3 years if in relation to an adult.
If relates to under- 18s, retain until 18th birthday plus 3 years.
For some cases, such as asbestos or noise damage, retain for 40 years from date of entry. In order to comply with statutory requirements and in case of legal claims/complaints.
Who we share this information with
We routinely share this information with:
With selected Council, KNH and Academies Officers (i.e., Managers / Supervisers / Headteachers) (part of data)
Why we share this information
We share information with Department for Work and Pensions, Health and Safety Executive and Solicitors on a statutory basis, under Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979. Reporting of Injuries Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013, Regulation 12; also Limitation Act 1980 - specifies that personal injury actions must be commenced within three years of the injury occurring.
For some cases, such as asbestos and noise damage, the Limitation Act allows the claim to be brought within three years of the date that the employee had knowledge of the disease or injury.
We do not share personal information about you with anyone else without consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so.
If you would like further information about how we manage your data, please see the privacy notice for Kirklees Council at http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/privacy
If you would like further information about this privacy notice, please contact:
Khalid Razzaq CMIOSH
Principal Health & Safety Advisor
Corporate Safety Unit
If you have any worries or questions about how your personal data is handled, please call the Data Protection Officer at DPO@kirklees.gov.uk or by ringing 01484 221000.
Keeping this policy updated